I'm feeling pretty blessed this weekend. My life is jam packed with amazing people and places. I just got back from a week with my sisters (more on that when I gather the pictures everyone was so kind to take for me since I'm not used to being the camera person and therefore have become totally useless in that category). My family big family is awesome, my little family is awesome, life isn't perfect in the least- by it sure is good.
At the fireworks (seen below), the National Anthem was sung. As we stood and put our hands on our hearts, I realized that I had never taught Afton about why we celebrate the 4th of July. These moments when I get to teach my child (I know I have blogged about a few- I'm sorry, they are quite life changing for me) force me to simplify things and I think its pretty cool how the simplified version often says more than the whole drawn out version. In this instance, I found myself desperately wanting her to understand that we are grateful for all the people who sacrifice so that we can be free to believe what we want to believe. It went something like this, "We celebrate 4th of July because many people have sacrificed their lives so that we can be free. So that we can go to church." haha. But its true.
So, on this 4th of July, I am grateful to believe what I want to believe. I am grateful for all the blessings and opportunities that I have been given because of this great country.
Here's a low down of the weekend celebrations!
First up, this was last weekend but I am still including it. I got to meet my new niece, Briaunna. Isn't she beautiful? She is a seriously gorgeous baby and she makes me so baby hungry. (no. no announcements- she's just really cute and fun to hold)
My little Emme. I told Kenton this month, its official, I am in LOVE. I have always LOVED her but I feel extra close to her lately. She has grown up this past month and her personality has just popped out. She is hilarious and cuddly and sweet and kind and patient and adorable and we just love her so much!
Darius, Briaunna's big brother, reaching for a delicious cookie his grandma made. Coconut butterscotch deliciousness. . . I would work just as hard for one.
In our new town, they have a firework show the night of the 3rd. I think its quite brilliant to do the big show the night of the 3rd. Then you can stay up late without stressing about being too tired for the non-holiday the next day. We had tons of fun and stayed up WAY too late- and even missed our 4th of July breakfast the next day because we ALL slept in.
We broke down and bought the girls a glow stick from the SUPER overpriced glow stick stand. But, I must say, it was super cute watching their eyes light up.

Since we did the big firework show on the 3rd, we did our own little fireworks on the 4th with Kenton's brother and sister (parents of the cute kids at the top). We were pretty bumbed that Darius was out of town with his grandparents, but we tried to make the best of it.
This picture is a classic. I seriously love it.
Afton was SUPER scared of every. single. firework. The night before (at the big show) she spent the first five minutes or so under the blanket while she hid from the fireworks. But, she quickly got over it and LOVED them in then end. We thought she would LOVE our little firework show but we were wrong.
Kenton and Fernando lit fireworks while the girls and I sat like this on the step. I REFUSE to give into the wimps (mainly because I have spent much of my life being a wimp and I have always been grateful to those who MAKE me try new things- even you Dad who made me call and order the pizza just because he knew how much it scared me). So, Afton spent the whole show on my lap saying how she was done and she wanted to go inside.
She was brave enough to hold the sparklers. And I am convinced the only reason she did was because they are called SPARKLErs and she wanted to hold the sparkles (probably because it seems like a very princess thing to do)
Kenton is such a good dad- I know I have said this before but I love the pictures that show it.
On Saturday, we took a hike we have been wanting to take for a while. Come to find out, we took the wrong trail and instead of heading to "the lake that is twice the size" we found ourselves hiking to a tiny, dinky little lake. But, it was a BEAUTIFUL hike AND we saw a moose- SUPER close.

This was Emme's first time on my back in the Ergo. She must have liked it. I can't believe babies can just sleep like this but I am SO glad they do.
Hope you all had a great 4th as well!


















































I absolutely LOVE the picture of you and the girls on our front steps. It definitely captured the moment. You really didn't give in to their cries. We thought for sure we would be ending the firework show early. :) You need to send me that picture of Darius trying to take the cookie and the ones you took when we went to Heritage park. When Darius gets back we for sure want to go to Silver Lake with you guys. Thanks for the great post Brittney. We had fun on the 3rd and 4th with ya'll. I also need you to send me that rice/bean salad recipe. Soooooo good!
ReplyDeleteI laughed when I read your comment about being too scared to call to order pizza...that was me too! Sad. Beautiful pictures and I'm with Tina Silver Lake sounds fun...I'm in! And that rice/bean salad recipe sounds good. Might as well send that to me too :) It was good to see you guys Sunday thanks for coming.
ReplyDeleteI always love looking at your blog...you always have just the right pictures that capture all the small things that makes me feel like I know everything you did that day:) Paired with your awesome writing skills(an awesome quality you got from dad) I'm pretty sure your blog is my favorite...thanks for keeping it up..even if it is just for me to read!
ReplyDeleteI too love your blog. Pictures, captions, everything. I love the side view picture of you and Emme watching fireworks and the picture of Kenton holding Afton and Emme... priceless. We wanna see you guys soon. I'll talk to Chad about when we can plan to meet up and do something fun.
ReplyDelete