21.10.14

Welcome Baby Van!


Our Little Man, Van Kenton, arrived!  
(a whole 3 1/2 weeks ago- 3 kids has kind of rocked our world!)


The Stats:

born @ 2:44 am, Friday, September 26th
8 lbs 9 ounces | 20 inches

The Story:

I went to my regular weekly appointment on Monday.  I was 39 weeks.
After chatting with my doctor about how I didn't want to go over 40 weeks
(since I LOVED my induction experience with Emme, I wasn't nervous to induce)
My doctor mentioned that she would be spending the night at the hospital on Thursday
and, if I wanted to, we could just induce then.

The idea sounded great- and so it was scheduled!

Thursday was Emme's birthday so I hoped and prayed and I would make it to the induction so that Emme and the new little guy could have different birthdays (luckily it all worked out!)

My mom came in from Idaho and was there at our house with our sleeping girls
 when we left for the hospital at 8:00 pm.
She has no idea how comforting it was to know that my children are 
being watched by the best of the best while we were gone.

We arrived at the hospital at 8:30 pm.

A nurse was being trained by another nurse- and therefore the paperwork and getting set-up process took a while.
They finally got Pitocin started at 10:30.

And then we waited for contractions to start.
It was pretty smooth sailing really.

Like Emme's induction, I got my epidural quickly which made things so nice and relaxing, just the way we both like it! (I told Kenton the other day that we could have saved some money if I went without the epidural- he said the epidural was totally worth every penny :)  
I think he likes the "comfortable, easy" route as much as I do!)   

It was pretty smooth sailing for the next few hours.
A nurse would come in every so often to up the Pitocin.
Baby boy's heart rate was great and we were on our way to meeting him!

A little after 2 am, the nurse came in to check me.
I was progressing consistently and was now at a 7.

30 minutes later, the nurse mentioned that I should tell her if I felt a lot of pressure.
Just then, I did feel a lot of pressure.  I mentioned it to her and she said,
"Great! We're getting there.  I'll come back in 30 minutes to check on you again"

...and then I felt another three pretty "LOTS of pressure" contractions.
I told myself that I would call the nurse if the next one was as bad.

And the next one was WORSE!
I felt as though his head was out.  I looked down and sure enough,
the little guy's full forehead was out!

I woke Kenton up (yep- he was sleeping because nothing was going on!) and told him the head was out.  He figured it was just crowning but when he saw it, he was super surprised!

I called the nurse and she
(along with 14 other nurses- I guess a slow night and a half delivered baby gets you some attention!)
came in right away!  The nurse delivered the rest of the baby and my doctor walked in (from where she was sleeping right across the hall!) to deliver the placenta.

It was pretty crazy!

Everything happened so fast that I had to remind Kenton to grab the camera!
So glad we remembered that!
But we don't have a ton because things happened so fast!








We were then taken to our room.  at 5:30 a.m., all we wanted to do was sleep.
But we had nurses in and out all that day.


 First foot prints.
Look at those long toes!




With all the craziness, Kenton didn't get to hold him for a while.
I'm SO glad this man finally has a son!
He rocks at the "dad of daughters" thing, but men this good should have sons too.

Can't wait to watch him teach my son how to be a REAL man.





The girls meeting Van.
I was so impressed with Afton.
She was so soft and kind and sweet.
She really rocks the oldest child role.



Emme loves baby "ban"
She constantly says, "So toot, so toot"


Man alive I am so blessed!



And my sweet mom.
She held this boy through the wee morning hours while I got some sleep.
She cooked, she cleaned, she entertained my kids.
She's incredible!



First bath.
He hated it.


Can you tell?



The nurse had so much fun washing his hair.
Not all babies have so much hair
and not all babies purr when their head is combed.

It was the cutest.



Looks like he'll tolerate the dress up parties just fine.




The kid was born with some insane fingernails!
That coupled with long fingers that don't fit in the baby mittens, its been rough.


Going Home!!!
We spent less than 24 hours at the hospital.
It felt so nice to go home.







And this picture kinds breaks my heart.
The moment Emme realized she isn't the baby anymore. 
It's sad because she is still so little (just turned 2) and SO loves to cuddle.

But, as I learned with Afton when Emme was born...
a sibling is the best gift you can give a child.


We're so glad to have you here, Van.
You are such a sweet little guy and we feel so lucky to have you!

We're beyond blessed-and sleep deprived :)

2 comments :

  1. Congrats. What an exciting arrival. He is darling, hope the adjustment gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you guys Brittany! He's a beautiful little boy! I just want you to know that 3 kids is the hardest. :) It took me about 2 months after our 3rd child was born to finally say, "Ok, I really might survive this!" Take help where you can get it and know that this too shall pass and one day you'll wake up and think, "Wow, here I am with my 3 beautiful children - and I'm totally rocking it!" :)
    You're an amazing mom and it will get easier! Congrats on the amazing new little guy!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top